Denver Government Liability Lawyer

Denver government liability lawyerOverwhelmingly, the majority of traffic collisions are caused by intoxicated, distracted, or otherwise negligent drivers. A defective vehicle design or auto part is sometimes the reason behind an accident. However, when the reason you were injured or your loved one was killed is because the street or highway itself was defective, a personal injury case can get complicated fast. When the negligent party is a government agency or government contractor, and you’re severely injured, what is your recourse?

Some cases that may involve filing a claim against a government agency include:

  • Police misconduct
  • Failure to properly maintain traffic signs
  • Failure to keep up with maintenance on buildings and other government-owned facilities
  • Damages to the road or highway
  • Governmental vehicles
  • Government-owned property defects

There are extremely short time frames to provide notice to a governmental agency should you wish to pursue such a claim. Colorado law requires a specific notice be sent to particular places in order to pursue a claim against a governmental agency. The deadline is only 180 days. This means that your claim could be lost forever if you do not provide this notice, with the proper format, to the proper person. It is not good enough to simply have an adjuster assigned to the case if the claim is against a city, county or the state of Colorado. An experienced Denver government liability lawyer with the law firm of Norton and Bowers, P.C. can advocate for justice on your behalf. Norton and Bowers, P.C. represents injury victims in Denver and across Colorado.


Sometimes, claims against the government can be prohibited because of the Colorado Government Immunity Act, which protects government employees, school districts, colleges, universities, volunteers and officers. However, in some cases this immunity does not apply and victims are permitted to file personal injury claims against the city or state.

For example, most public streets and highways are the responsibility of government entities: federal, state, county, or city departments or agencies. If a pothole, a poor highway design, ongoing road construction, a defective traffic signal, or a lack of highway maintenance results in injury in a car, motorcycle or other kind of traffic accident, it’s important to put an experienced personal injury attorney on the case immediately to review your case and help you file a claim in court.

In mere days, evidence – and the memories of witnesses – can deteriorate. If possible, try to document any evidence that you have immediately after the accident by getting witness accounts or taking photographs. Your first priority after an accident should be receiving medical attention if needed, but don’t forget to hold onto any medical paperwork that shows the extent and cost of your injury. If you’re an accident victim who’s been injured in Colorado by the negligence of any local or state department or agency, contact an experienced Denver government liability lawyer at the law firm of Norton and Bowers, P.C. immediately. You have the right to be compensated for your injuries as well as your medical treatment and related expenses.


Sometimes, accidents are caused by the negligence of Denver city employees or agencies. The city may not be liable in every accident that occurs on its property or involves its employees. However, some accidents and injuries may be eligible for the claim. Speak to a Denver personal injury lawyer, and discuss whether your accident qualifies for a claim against the city. It’s not required that you work with an attorney, but it is highly recommended to ensure you receive the legal services you need to seek justice.

If you want to file a claim against the city and County of Denver, there are procedures to be followed. You must first write a letter that specifically outlines the information that is relevant to your claim. In this letter called the Notice of Claim, you must provide information like your name and address as well as the contact information of your attorney if you have one. However, you must provide details for the basis of the claim, including the exact details of the accident or the injury that occurred. Provide the date, time, and place of the accident. You must also provide other details about the employee involved in the accident. Provide the name and address of the employee whose negligence was involved in your injury.

Provide information about and the severity of the injury that you sustained and the damages that you suffered as a result. Finally, define the monetary damages that you are claiming. File the Notice of Claim by mailing it to the Mayor of Denver.

The Notice of Claim must be filed within 180 days after the injury occurred. This deadline is strictly enforced in Colorado. If you choose not to adhere to the deadline, you will not have a second chance to file a personal injury claim against the government.

Next, the Mayor’s Office will forward your letter to the City Attorney’s Office, following which you’ll get more information from the City of Attorney’s Office about how you can proceed. After filing the notice, you must wait 90 days before filing a lawsuit or wait for a response saying that the government has denied your claim, whichever occurs first.

For more assistance filing a claim against the city of Denver and fighting for the compensation you deserve, talk to an experienced lawyer from the office of Norton and Bowers, P.C. as soon as possible. Because there are such strict regulations around filing a notice with the government, it’s important to contact an attorney as soon as possible after the injury occurs. Seek legal representation today from the experienced attorneys at Norton and Bowers, P.C. Our team can provide you with the resources you need every step of the legal process.


Accidents are not always caused by other people on the road. Even when another vehicle strikes yours, road conditions may have been the cause, and those responsible may be held accountable. Norton and Bowers, P.C. represents clients on a contingency fee basis. This means that there is no attorney fee until we recover for you.

Our attorneys have years of experience representing clients in a variety of personal injury cases, including those involving insurance bad faith claims, traffic accidents, product liability, premises liability issues, and more. If you’ve been injured in a traffic collision anywhere in the Denver area or the state of Colorado, call us promptly at 303-400-8100 or fill out the online form on this website to arrange a free consultation with a member of our team. You’ll be able to speak directly to an attorney about your case. Offsite, weekend, and evening appointments are also available. When you’re injured on a Colorado street or highway because of the government’s negligence, let Norton and Bowers, P.C. go to work for you as quickly as possible.

Client Testimonials

More Testimonials